9th Grade Planning Timeline
- Time to get serious about your post-secondary plans. By starting early you’ll be better prepared.
- Pace yourself as you adjust socially and academically to high school.
- Focus on strengthening your areas of weakness.
- Develop a routine that will help you be successful and improve your academic performance.
- Get Involved: Join a club or participate in extra-curricular activities.
- Communicate with parents about your school, your classes, friends, clubs or extra-curricular activities that you want to join.
- Get involved with meaningful activities in and out of school. *Check with your guidance counselor for updated information on and off campus that you may want to participate in.
- Review your grades with your counselor or your advisor.
- Participate in tutoring after school to help with academics.
- Use Your Plan of Study at http://connection.naviance.com/stjohn to keep track of your career and college search.
- Keep an activity log that lists participation in activities as well as accomplishments, awards, and leadership position.
- EXHALE! You survived the first semester of high school!
ENJOY YOUR WINTER BREAK! YOU DESERVE IT!
- Converse with parents and teachers about your academic performance.
- Develop an improvement plan with your parents, teachers, and guidance counselor to help with challenging subjects.
- Talk with your guidance counselor or trusted adult about your future plans.
- Create a file of the following documents and notes in Resume Format: report cards, list of awards and honors, school and community activities, and volunteer work. *Naviance can help with this.
- Review and evaluate the comprehensive academic program and activities record and make any necessary changes and updates accordingly.
- Review transcript with counselor. Your GPA and class rank matters in high school!
- Start thinking about worthwhile summer plans such as a job, volunteer work, or traveling to build a resume. Summer is a great time to begin exploring interests that tie in with college or career goals.
- Read! Reading increases knowledge and improves test scores!
ENJOY YOUR SUMMER BREAK! YOU SURVIVED 9TH GRADE!